i've recently been working on setting up drone ci on the tilde.team machine. however, there's been something strange going on with the networking on there.
last week i did some maintenance on the tilde.team box. probably should have written about it sooner but i didn't make time for it until now.
after the fiasco earlier this week, i've been taking steps to minimize the impact if tilde.team were to go down. it's still a large spof (single-point-of-failure), but i'm reasonably certain that at least the irc net will remain up and functional in the event of another outage.
- no more google
- no more google
- automated certbot validation for letsencrypt wildcard certs!! no more manual TXT records every three months!
let's start by saying i probably should have done a bit more research before diving head-first into this endeavor.
i've been thinking about transferring my domains off google domains for some time now, as part of my personal goal to self host and limit my dependence on google and other large third-party monstrosities. along that line, i asked for registrar recommendations. ~tomasino responded with namesilo. i found that they had $3.99 registrations for .team and .zone domains, which is 1/10th the cost of the $40 registration on google domains.
i started out by getting the list of domains from the google console. 2 or 3 of them had been registered within the last 60 days, so i wasn't able to transfer those just yet. i grabbed all the domain unlock codes and dropped them into namesilo. i failed to realize that the dns panel on google domains would disappear as soon as it went through, but more importantly that the nameservers would be left pointing to the old defunct google domains ones.
i updated the nameservers as soon as i realized this error from the namesilo panel. some of the domains propagated quickly. others, not so much. tilde.team was still in a state of flux between the old and new nameservers.
in a rush to get the dns problem fixed, and under recommendation from several people on irc, i decided to switch the nameservers for tilde.team and tilde.zone to cloudflare, leaving another layer of flux for the dns to be stuck in...
of the five domains that i moved to cloudflare, 3 returned with a dnssec error, claiming that i needed to remove the DS record from that zone. d'oh!
i removed the dnssec from those affected domains, so we should be good to go as soon as it all propagates through the fickle beast that is dns.
it will now make sure that your ~/public_gopher exists and symlink your blog into it with a nice gophermap to list all the markdown styled posts.
try it out and let me know if there are any problems!
hey hi hello!
it seems that i haven't written anything on my blog in quite a while...
time to fix that! i've been quite busy in the last month or so with a lot of new ideas an energy for tilde.team.
after rediscovering my account on tilde.town, i hopped in the irc there and my enthusiasm translated into a couple new members over here on the ~team.
our irc has been somewhat more active recently which is awesome:)
some of the new updates in the last month:
- tildegit (our own gitea instance)
- tildemail with postfix and dovecot for smtp/imap as well as local command line mail in mutt and alpine
tildeuser script wrapper with submission and approval flows
- password auth disabled
see you soon!
check it out if you want some federated open source social goodness :)
send me a toot @firstname.lastname@example.org (from any mastodon instance!)
welcome to my tildeblog
you are here.
i like to mess around with linux sysadmin shtuff. tilde.team is my baby. let me know if you want to get involved.
thanks for being awesome. keep it up.